U.S. Citizen Services
Emergency American Citizen Services available 24/7. Call the Embassy at (229) 21-30-06-50
The American Citizen Services section of the Consular Section provides information and assistance to U.S. citizens in Benin. The Consular Section assists Americans living abroad with:
- passport renewal,
- registration with the Embassy (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program),
- lost or stolen passport replacement, additional passport pages
- the issuance of Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for children born in Benin to American citizens,
- notarial services,
- emergency services to American citizens,
- information about voter registration, and
- income tax forms.
For more information about traveling to Benin and elsewhere, please consult the website http://travel.state.gov/. The current Consular Information Sheet for Benin provides information for travelers on entry/exit requirements, travel conditions, and other useful topics.
U.S. Citizens in Distress:
The Consular Section maintains a list of attorneys and notaries practicing in Benin. The Consular Officer is not permitted to advise U.S. citizens on legal matters or to recommend a particular lawyer from the list. The Consular Section provides services to U.S. citizens in distress, including visiting detainees in Beninese custody, arranging financial assistance for U.S. citizens who are temporarily without money, providing information about physicians and hospitals, helping family members and friends in the United States.